Thursday 12 January 2017

VERB AND TENSES kelompok 1 PBI/1B

KELOMPOK 1 :
1.      SALMA DAMAYANTI
2.      MELLA RUSDIYANTI ELSA PUTRI
3.      URFIDHA LETJAR IRYANTI
4.      INUNG FIDI ASTUTI
5.      DINI ANTIKA NURFITRYA

CLASS           :           1B/PBI

The Simple Present Tense

Ø  Verbs have forms called tenses that tell you when the action happens. If the action happens regularly, sometimes or never, use the simple present tense.

-          We always wash our hand before meals
-          Joe sometimes lends me his bike
-          Dad jogs in the park every day
-          We often go to the movies on Saturday
-          Mr. Ross takes train to work

Ø  The simple present tense is also used to state facts.

-          The sun rises every morning
-          Penguins live in the Antarctica
-          Dogs love playing in water
-          The earth goes around the sun
-          Australia is an Island

Ø  Use the simple present tense to tell the events of a story that is happening now. I arrive at school. I see another girl crying. I ask her why she is sad. She says hasn’t got any friends to play with. I tell her that she can play with me.

Ø  Use the simple present tense to talk about thing that will happen in the future.


-          My little sister starts school tomorrow
-          The new supermarket opens this Friday
-          Next week I go on holiday to Japan
-          We fly to London on Sunday
-          The train leaves in few minutes
-          My family moved to a new house next month

Am, is and are

The words am, is and are the simple present forms of the verb be.
Ø  Use am with pronoun I.
Ø  Use is with singular nouns like ‘my dad’ and ‘the teacher’, and with the pronouns he, she and it.
Ø  Use are with plural nouns like ‘my parents’ and Jenny and Mary’, and with the pronouns we, you, and they.

-          I am twelve
-          I am in the garden
-          My mom is very tired today
-          The teacher is tall
-          She is also pretty
-          Our dog is black
-          The children are sleep
-          Computers is very expensive
-          My brother and I are upstairs
-          We are in our bedrooms
-          You are my best friends
-          You and David are my best friends

Here is a table to help you remember how to use is, am and are.


First person
Second person
Third person
Singular
I am
You are
He is
She is
It is
Plural
We are
You are
They are
They are
They are

v  Notes:
ü  There are short ways of saying and writing am, is and are with pronouns. These short forms are called contractions.
ü  You can use these contractions to replace am, is and are when they called used with not:
Full form             short form                  full form                     short form
I am                      I’m                              I am not                       I’m not
You are                you’re                          he is not                       he isn’t
He is                     he’s                              she is not                     she isn’t
She is                    she’s                            it is not                        it isn’t
It is                       it’s                               we are not                   we aren’t
We are                  we’re                           you are not                  you aren’t
They are               they’re                         they are not                 they aren’t

There is and there are

Ø  Use there with is and are to say that exists or what you can have. Use there is with singular nouns, and there are with plural nouns

-          There is a tree in our garden
-          There is a girl called Farah in my class
-          There is fish for dinner
-          There is nothing to do when it rains
-          There’s a cat sitting on the beach
-          There’s a boy in my class who can walk on his hands
-           There are cows in the field
-          There are some very big ship in the harbor today


The Present Progressive Tense (Present Continuous Tense)

The present progressive tense is used  to talk about thing that are continuing to happen.
Ø  Make the present progressive tense by using am, is or are with a verb that ends in ing.

-          I am learning how to swim
-          I am eating my lunch
-          I am watching television
-          She is reading a book
-          Dad is baking a cake
-          My sister is listening to music
-          Uncle David is cleaning his car
-          The dog is barking in the garden
-          We are singing our favorite song
-           My brother and I playing a computer game
-          The teachers are showing us a film
-          They are bringing a television set into the classroom

v  Notes: The ing form of a verb is called the present participle. You use the present participle with am, is or are to make the present progressive tense.

Am + watching                       (present participle)
Is + listening                            (present participle)
Are + playing                          (present participle)

Ø  The present progressive tense is also used to talk about things that are planned for the future.

-          I am going to the library tomorrow
-          My sister is giving me her bike when she gets her new one
-          We can’t go to the movies tomorrow because my mom is working
-          We are having a barbecue on Sunday
-          All my friends are coming to my party next week
-          We’re taking my cousin to the zoo later today



 The Simple Past Tense

Ø  Use the simple past tense to talk about thing that happened in the past. The simple past tense is usually made by adding ed to the verb

-          I opened the door and looked inside
-          The plane landed ten minutes ago
-          My cousin visited us last summer
-          We walked to school yesterday
-          She laughed when I told her the joke

Ø  If a verb ends in e, just add d to make the simple past tense

-          We closed all the windows?
-          We lived in that house when I was a baby
-          She smiled when she saw me
-          We raced each other on our bikes

Ø  If a verb ends in y, change the y to i before adding ed

-          I carried my mom’s shopping bag
-          My brother cried when he fell off his bike
-          We hurried to the station to catch the train
-          Dad tried to help me with my homework

Ø  With some short verb that end in a consonant, you must double the consonant before adding ed

-          I climbed over the fence and ripped my shirt
-          The stranger grabbed my arm
-          The dog wagged its tail when it saw the biscuits
-          He slammed the door and walked off angrily

Was and Were

The words was and were are the simple past tense forms of the verb be.
Ø  Was is the simple past form of am and is. Use was with singular nouns like ‘my dad’ and ‘the teacher’, and with the pronouns he, she and it

Ø  Were is the simple past form of are. Use were with plural nouns like ‘my parents’ and ‘Jenny and Mary’, and with the pronouns we, you and they





-          Ten years ago, I was only a baby
-          When I was younger, I played with the teddy bears
-          My friend was ill yesterday
-          Mom was angry when she saw the broken vase
-          It was very wet on Monday
-          It was six o’clock when we got home
-          We were away on vacation last month
-          John an I were in the garden
-          You were nasty to me
-          You and Sally were not at school yesterday
-          Dinosaurs were prehistoric animals
-          Those were my best jeans


Ø  Here is a table to help you remember how to use was and were


First person
Second person
Third person

Singular
I was
You were
He was
She was
It was

Plural
We were
You were
They were
They were
They were


Notes:
You may use these contractions when you are combining was and were with not

Full form                                   short form
I was not                                                I wasn’t
He was not                                 he wasn’t
She was not                               she wasn’t
It was not                                   it wasn’t
We were not                              we weren’t
You were not                             you weren’t
They were not                            they weren’t

Irregular Verbs

Ø  Many common verbs have unusual present and past tense forms. These are called irregular verbs

Ø  Remember that the simple past tense of most verbs is made by adding ed and the end: look becomes looked. Notice that the simple past tense of these common irregular verbs is quite different


Irregular Verb
Simple Past Tense
Irregular Verb
Simple Past Tense
Break
Bring
Buy
Catch
Come
Do
Fall
Feed
Feel
Fly
Get
Go
have
broke
brought
brought
caught
came
did
fell
fed
felt
flew
got
went
had
keep
kneel
know
leave
lose
meet
ring
run
see
sell
sleep
speak
write
Kept
Knelt
Knew
Left
Lost
Met
Rang
Ran
Saw
Sold
Slept
Spoke
wrote


Ø  The simple past tense of other irregular verbs does not change at all

Verb
Simple Past Tense
Example
Cost

Cut

Hit

Hurt

Let

Put



Read
Cost

Cut 

Hit

Hurt

Let

Put



Read
·         I bought a new CD. It cost twenty dollars.
·         My brother cut his finger this morning.
·         She hit the ball into a neighbor’s garden.
·         I hurt my leg when I jumped off the wall.
·         Mom opened the door and let us in.
·         The tea tasted horrible because I put too much sugar in it.
·         Dad read us a story last night.





No comments:

Post a Comment